Unreal Bjornament 2 WINNERS
BjornHurri about 1 year ago
We have now reached the end of the journey, 102 artists going head to head and fighting it out. I am so proud of each and every artist who joined in and decided to participate.
We had to pros pone the start from March 1st with a week due to potential of a great sponsor but in the end they pulled out and kept their participation to next year. It's those kind of things that you HAVE to try to chase down for you all so you might get some sweet prices.
This year we had some great prices for the top 3 finalists this year and next year will be even better!
The number 1 winner
- A free copy of Firestarter magazine and a feature of your work inside.
- THU TV volume 3 access
- A free copy of the book Tegn volume 2
- 1 Clip Studio Paint PRO License
- 10x free products from Foundation
- A big print from INPRNT of your entry
Second and third place prize
- Free copy of the firestarter magazine
- 5x each from Foundation
- A big print from INPRNT of your entry
What would The Unreal Bjornament be if we didn't have the fantastic judges who took the time to devote to us and hand us their experiences and sharp skillsets to help the participants push their art even further and take major strides.
This year we were blessed with the fantastic:
Cristian Chihaia (art director/concept artist) https://www.artstation.com/sickbrush
Matti Marttinen (Last years winner/ concept artist) https://www.artstation.com/tastybrush
Pablo Carpio (concept artist) https://www.artstation.com/pablocarpio
Even Amundsen (concept artist/illustrator) https://www.artstation.com/mischeviouslittleelf
Rolf Mohr (Senior Concept Artist /Director of Vis Dev) http://www.rolfmohr.com/
Laurel Austin (Senior Illustrator ) https://www.artstation.com/tully
Bjorn hurri (Artdirector/Lead artist) https://www.bjornhurri.com
Let's take a look at how the fighting was for the 5 months this art competition took. Mad respect to each and everyone of you as it's not an easy feat to participate in such a long spanning competition. What I find very interesting with Unreal Bjornament 2 is that if you lose the main competition and get defeated by another artist you get the chance to get back into the competition in the final if you manage to survive the Comeback Bracket. Last year the winner of UB was Matti Marttinen/Tastybrush and he did just that, he came back from the losers round and stole it in the end!
This was this years journey:
The previous round was the comeback brackets artists fighting it out to get back in the final and this year Simon Dwyer made it back to the main competition and earned his place in the final.
All this fighting and scrambling has brought us to the sixth round aka finale, where 7 artists are set head to head to fight it out against each other.
It was a great fight and was a very even battlefield.
Here are the entries:
Prov (NO SHOW)
PURRMIA (NO SHOW)
The judges sat and deliberated and pondered over which one should win and the votes are in.
Congratulations to everyone who participated and joined in the fun. I think it's a vital part of an artists growth to be able to challenge yourself and be forced to push your skillset when there is a high level.
The winners of UNREAL BJORNAMENT 2 IS:
Here are the thoughts and words from the judges about their decisions to pick the winners:
- Amazing work by all of you, was a really different decision!! In the end, composition, color and lighting were the key points that made me choose. Congratulations for all of you, you are amazing artists and thats the best price ever!! Looking forward to see more of your work, you won a fan today ;)
- I am very impressed with the final five, and while third place delivered scale, and second delivered composition, I think Morfyia’s simple compo, intriguing shape usage and lovely execution fit the best with the theme and takes the placing for me. Lovely work, and damn good job!
- Sniwwles - Awesome stuff! I picked yours as the winner due to the strong, bold, powerful composition and your high quality rendering. Great sense of motion and flowing details. All with nice nice subtle use of colour, depth and modeling to convey a really epic feeling.
Simon - Really nice mage! Fun action scene a little reminiscent of classic Frazetta and pulp covers, but not derivative. Great lighting/atmosphere and shadows. Overall nice and dramatic. Appealing colour palette, pretty good anatomy (some legs are distorted etc). Great stuff!
MyArt - Very cool stuff, nice dynamic scene. Cool set of characters conveying a story moment, using colour nicely to support the drama. Good solid figure drawing, lighting and cool energy effects.
Morfyia - Beautifully rendered, very appealing image. Presents a clear, simple idea. But the dark angel figure is a little unclear, slightly hard to read. Seems like it could be developed a little more, perhaps a hint more colour in the composition or stronger lighting/modeling in the pale figure to define form a bit more here and there.
Hiro - A good solid painting, tells a story, if not the most original subject/theme in the world :) Could also be developed further, especially in terms of rendering, details and lighting especially on that big skeleton. Should shape up to be a very cool piece!
- Winner Swiwwles - This was a very very close call but ultimately i chose your piece because of the interesting idea of the trash elemental. It fits right into the brief with the poor trash collector trying to do his job and facing his top challenge. The image works very well, if anything i would have pushed the translucency of the golem here and there, otherwise it looks great, congratulations!
2nd Simon Dwyer - Good work man, a very cool and interesting piece with a strong composition. It narrowly missed out on the first spot, i think the sky could have been worked into the image a bit more as a composition support. A very cool cinematic shot, really well done and i can't wait to see more from you in the future!
3rd Myart - Strong piece here too, i like the idea of the image, what could be handled better is lighting, i would love to see more radiosity, more bounce and color shifts, etc. A very cool piece overall, congratulations!
4th Hiro - Very interesting piece, i like the adventurers idea and the scale of their challenge. Composition could work a bit better and some color variation here and there wouldn't hurt either. Still, a good piece and congratulations for reaching the final, it's a big achievement!
5th Morfyia - A very very cool idea that needed a bit more time invested i think. There's a lot of interesting things going on in the image and the mood is brilliant, i hope you can take this further in your own time as it could turn into an awesome piece. Very cool work and congratulations for reaching the final, it's a big achievement!
- @MYART Awesome piece! It have everything, mood, colors, action and I especially like the foreground character's facial expression. You depicted the required theme best, thats why, you got my vote. I also have a weak spot for robots.
@Simon Dwyer I really like your piece, it came super close to get my vote for the first place. It also have everything what I love to see in the illustration. Very well done!
- First, Sniwwles, epic scale and great compositional elements. Great colors
Second, Morfyia, with more care on the focal points this one would of won. Beautiful shapes and story. I just wish you would of spent more time on the Deaths head, hand and face of the victim. If you only would of pushed the finishing touches you'd have a winner on your hands.
Third, Myart, great colors and strong shapes. The composition is a bit over complicated though which makes it hard to understand where to look. I think some simplification is needed.
Simon, your piece had great potential but I found the hero to be stiff and I believe you could of pushed the epicness more with higher numbers of creatures.
Hiro, great entry but it's lacking some of the epicness the other entries had. I would of pushed the perspective more and used the setting to you advantage for color, mood and elements.
Thank you judges and thank you artists for taking part. Thank you sponsors for giving the artists some sweet prices!
See you next year! <3
Hiro about 1 year agoThanks for hosting <3. Learned a lot from this. Congratz to sniwwles well deserved
BjornHurri about 1 year ago
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3